Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church in Milwaukee.
The history of the Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity in Milwaukee began on December 14, 1952, when Archpriest Vladimir Glindsky served the first Sunday Divine Liturgy at the house #1136 on Madison Street. Father Vladimir at that time served in the cathedral in Chicago. Exactly six months later on June 14, 1953, Father Vladimir was appointed permanent rector of the new Holy Trinity Church in Milwaukee and Sunday Divine Liturgies were held regularly.
Father Vladimir was born in 1890, graduated from the second cadet corps of Peter the Great and the Imperial Nikolayev Military Academy. In 1918, in the rank of colonel, he was the chief of staff of the Primorsky detachment of the Volunteer Army. He was awarded six military orders. In 1920 he immigrated to the United States, in 1942 he was ordained a priest. He died in 1977 and is buried in the cemetery of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville.
The building, which until then did not belong to the church, was purchased and became a property of the parish in 1954 and exactly two years after the first liturgy, on December 14, 1954, the church was consecrated by Archbishop Gregory of Chicago and Detroit.
From September 1957 to 1982, for 25 years the rector of the church was Archpriest Vladimir Zheromsky.
Father Vladimir was born in 1900 in Grodno and in 1917 graduated from the Cadet Corps in Vladikavkaz. After the Civil War, he immigrated to Poland, where in 1928 he graduated from the Orthodox Theological Faculty of the University of Warsaw. He was ordained a priest in 1929. Since 1950 he served in the United States. Since 1964, a member of the diocesan council and the spiritual court of the Chicago-Detroit diocese.
In 1982, Father Vladimir was succeeded by a Serbian Orthodox priest Emelyan Glozar at the post of rector of the church, and after his retirement - by a priest Averky Moreno.
Father Averky was born in 1945 in the state of Idaho, USA, and studied at the Catholic seminary. He converted to Orthodoxy in 1960 and took monastic vows later.
Prior to 1991, Father Leonty Durkit, Father Peter Burlakov, Father Herman Ciba and Father Nikolai Churak were the successors of the church in turn. For our church, the Mitred Protopriest Peter Burlakov is of special importance.
Father Peter was born into a pious family in Montenegro. For more than 40 years he served as Archpriest in Denver, Colorado, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and in Parma, Ohio. All his life he collected Orthodox and theological literature. At the death of father Peter, his daughter gave the entire library he collected (about 7,000 titles) to our church.
In March 1991, Archpriest John Shaw became the rector of the church.
Father John (later bishop Jerome) was born in the United States in an Anglican family. The grandnephew of the outstanding writer Bernard Shaw, he speaks more than 40 languages, including all the major ancient languages. In 1963, he was received into the Orthodox Church through chrismation. He graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and the Holy Trinity Seminary. He was ordained into priesthood in 1976 and became an Archpriest in 1984. Until March 1991 he served in the Intercession Cathedral in Chicago, and then at the Holy Trinity Church in Milwaukee. In May 2007, he visited Russia with a delegation sent to restore the canonical communion between the Russian Church in Russia and the Russian Church abroad. On December 10, 2008, he was consecrated as Bishop of Manhattan.
On December 2, 2008, Archpriest Vasily Kuzmich becomes the rector of the church.
Father Vasily was born in Chernivtsi Oblast (Ukraine) in the family of an Orthodox mitered priest, all of whose five sons and one grandson serve as rectors in Orthodox churches. He received his spiritual education in the Kiev Theological Seminary. He was ordained a priest in 1992 and from 1993 to 2005 he was rector of the St. Michael's parish of the Chernivtsi - Bukovina Diocese. From 2005 to 2009, he carried obedience at the Church of St. Innocent of Irkutsk in Redford (Michigan, USA). Currently, Father Vasily is the rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Milwaukee, acting temporarily as the rector of the Russian mission in honor of the icon of the Mother of God "Tenderness" in Madison (Wisconsin, USA) and in the parish of All Saints in Fargo (North Dakota, USA), also performing duties of the rector of the St. Panteleimon parish in the city of Minneapolis (Minnesota, USA).
On April 1, 2013 - became Dean of the Second Deanery in the Diocese of Chicago and Mid-America.
For 23 years, the permanent deacon (later the protodeacon) is Father Dimitry Kamolov. On December 1, 2017, he was tonsured a monk as Hierodeacon Gorazd.
Father Gorazd on the maternal side comes from the ancient and famous family of Serno-Solovievich, two representatives of which (brothers Alexander and Nikolai) were the associates of Chernyshevsky, in 1861 helped found the well-known in the history of Russia society of "Land and Freedom". Father Gorazd's grandfather-Sergey Alexandrovich Serno-Solovyovitch, a graduate of the Kiev Cadet Corps in the rank of colonel immigrated to Czechoslovakia in 1919, where he died in 1940 already in the rank of the general.
Archpriest Vasily and Hierodeacon Gorazd have several assistants in our church. Retired
Serbian Orthodox priest father Mark Todorovich since 2016 helps Father Vasily on a voluntary basis during Sunday services, and, if necessary, replaces him in various Divine Services.
Michael Rossmeisl is the church's psalty since 2000.
Vladimir Neshchadimenko is the starosta of the church. Before him, this post was held by Oleg Lutchenkov, Georgy Ignatyev, Nadezhda Petrova (from 1991 to 2010), Valery Chekanov, Gennady Chekanov, and Victor Levchenko.
The assistant to the starosta is Dimitri Kamolov, the son of Father Gorazd.
Valery Chekanov is the tressurer. Before him, for many years the post of treasurer was held by Nikolai Sviatoslavsky.
Many years the head sisters of sisterhood were Elena Ignatieva and Marina Svyatoslavskaya.
The choir master is Elizabeth Puk (Svyatoslavskaya). Before her, A. Lugovenko (the founder of the choir and author of many music books for Orthodox worship) and Marina Svyatoslavskaya were choir masters. Valery Chekanov is the church librarian. Initially, under father John Shaw, the library, which was taken care of by V. Nikolskaya, contained about 1,000 books and magazines. Currently, the library's fund is about 14,000 books and magazines. Books, theology magazines and fiction are stored in two separate rooms.
For our parish, 2009 was especially important, when on September 15 we bought a new building for our church. On November 8 of the same year, the opening and consecration of a new church took place, led by His Eminence Bishop Peter and Bishop Jerome. Since that time, the church holds weekly services on Saturdays and Divine Liturgy on Sundays, as well as liturgies dedicated to the great holy Orthodox holidays, in which Orthodox priests from other Orthodox churches of Wisconsin participate.
In 2010, Archimandrite Athanasius, the rector of the church in the honor of the icon of the Mother of God "Joy of All Who Sorrow" in Philadelphia, gave our church parts of the holy relics of St. Nicholas the Miracle-Worker, St. George the Victorious, Basil the Great, Grand Duchess Elizabeth, Paraskeva Pyatnica (Friday), Xenia of Milos, pieces of garments St. John of Kronshtadt, John of Shanghai, Tsar Nicholas II, as well as a piece of the belt of the Mother of God. All these relics Archimandrite Athanasius received in Jerusalem during his obedience in the Holy Land.
Subsequently, a part of the Holy Sepulcher, parts of the holy relics of the Great Martyr Panteleimon and Great Martyr Dimitry of Thessaloniki, were added to these gifts. Currently, the Church of the Holy Trinity is the spiritual and cultural center, unifying Orthodox Christians living in Milwaukee, many of whom come from various republics of the former Soviet Union. In addition to worship services, our church is engaged in educational work (Sunday schools), solves some social problems (free lunch on Sundays, care of the poor, visits to the sick, those who were imprisoned). The church holds annual festivals, picnics, sales.
All services are conducted in Church Slavonic and English languages.